OPEN OPPORTUNITIES: Community & Content Marketing Specialist
Who are we?
alder is an outdoor apparel brand by women for women. We make sustainable, functional, and stylish outdoor apparel in sizes XS - 6X and believe outdoor activities should be about fun, not just performance. Feeling disconnected from an industry that typically celebrates hyper-performance and was sorely lacking in designs that were both comfortable and cute, Co-founder’s and Co-CEO’s Mikayla Wujec and Naomi Blackman decide to build a brand that puts women first. Launched in 2020, and dubbed “The Size-Inclusive Brand Changing The Activewear Market” alder received a first-ever direct investment from REI and has built a community of thousands of women connected by a shared love of the outdoors.
What’s the opportunity?
Are you a community builder and networker by nature and love bringing people together and fostering connection? We’re looking for a Community and content marketing specialist to grow alder’s community online and IRL.
This role will own and execute alder’s organic social media strategy, ensuring that it is results-driven and works back to our business goals. This includes developing and managing content calendars, creating fun, accessible, and relevant content on TikTok & Instagram to connect with women who love outdoor recreation and sustainable fashion, and responding and engaging with our community on these platforms. This role will also be responsible for coordinating key alder communities including our ambassador program and influencers. This includes coordinating our ambassador program of 200+ alder crew members and managing influencers on online platforms (Trackr, Slack, Facebook) and IRL events across Canada and the US.
Above all we’re looking for someone who is creative, proactive, a problem-solver and is excited about sustainable fashion, outdoor recreation, pop culture and storytelling on social media.
- Start date: August 6th 2023
- Work location: Toronto.
- Schedule: Monday - Thursday, alder is a leader in offering a four day work week, Fridays are ‘get outside’ days!
- Pay: $55,000 - $70,000 commensurate with experience
- Experience: You may notice we’re not listing expected experience. We’re looking for the right fit with the team, not the “right number of years on the job.” We are seeking someone who has an eye for social media content and ideation who loves to connect and engage online. Check out the required skills to assess if you’re the right fit for this role.
We’re an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status, Indigenous status.
- Have run a social media account (TikTok and Instagram) for a consumer brand (bonus points if it was for an apparel or beauty company!)
- Have created high-performing video content for TikTok or Instagram and have a solid understanding of the platforms.
- Highly comfortable designing social media and/or email graphic assets via Canva or Illustrator
- Have a passion for social media and are invested and interested in staying on top of social media and digital marketing trends
- Have organized and run multiple events (bonus points for an ambassador program or for influencers) and enjoy bringing experiences to life
- A love of the outdoors
What will you do?
alder’s Community & content marketing specialist will be focused on supporting three key areas:
Social media content creation & coordination:
- Own and execute alder’s organic social media strategy
- Develop and manage content calendars and execute on the day-to-day process of filming, publishing and scheduling content on TikTok and Instagram (optimized for engagement and formatted for all platforms),
- Organize and participate in weekly social content shoots
- Edit video content provided by influencers, alder crew members and others.
- Create social graphics in Canva or Photoshop
- Respond and reply to social communities
- Engage on social with alder’s broader community groups (outdoor enthusiasts, sustainable fashion, etc.)
- Assist with ideas and execution for engagement with the alder’s crew community
- As an expert in your space, keep abreast of social media trends and update the business where needed as these trends or shifts may affect performance.
- Regularly track and report on social media Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
alder ambassador & influencer coordination:
- Design, organize and run engaging and educational events across Canada and the US with ambassadors and influencers that highlight alder’s values of fun & play, sustainability and diversity & inclusion. Think: edible plant foraging, group hikes, nature journaling, etc.
- Train event brand ambassadors and influencers on the alder brand and responsibilities as ambassadors.
- Create meaningful relationships with alder ambassadors online influencers to grow brand awareness and deliver above and beyond content and engagement
- Coordinate content creation and delivery with influencers and ambassadors
Manage the ambassador affiliate program via Trackr
Adhoc creative development support
- Design and create social media graphics for Instagram and TikTok via Canva or Illustrator
- Support photoshoots and other creative asset development
- Design and create email templates and graphics via Canva or Illustrator
Create other creative assets (posters, decks, etc.) where required
You’ll have the opportunity to learn about additional areas of the business based on your interests, including:
- Product Design & Development
- Growth Marketing
- Customer Experience
- Operations & Logistics
You should apply if…
- You’ve checked us out and believe in what we’re building.
- You love clothes, the outdoors, sustainability and inclusivity.
- Have experience running social media accounts for a consumer brand and have produced social media content for TikTok and Instagram using design and video editing tools (e.g. Canva, Photoshop, in-platform on TikTok)
- Have experience working with a Social media tech stack like: Later, Linktree, Google Analytics, Tracker, Grin, etc.
- Have organized fun, creative and well-attended events and enjoy the process of event planning
- Have worked with ambassador programs and understand how to build communities with care and attention
- Are hyper-organized and detail-oriented
- You’re on fashionTok, outdoorTok, sustainabilityTok and are genuinely interested and invested in staying on top of social media trends
- You love being creative and experimenting with new social formats and new creative platforms
- You are a self-starter + self-disciplined. We offer a full-time flexible working arrangement so we expect that all employees will be able to manage their workload outside of a traditional 9-5 structure.
- You love dogs. We’re a dog friendly environment, but if you’re allergic or fearful, don’t hesitate to let us know so we can accommodate.
Benefits at alder:
- A minimum of four weeks vacation, plus two annual office closures. You need to rest to recreate!
- Comprehensive medical and dental benefits and a wellness spending account that includes flexible coverage across many areas (mental health, gym memberships, etc.)
- Flexible full time work hours and a mixed in-office and work from home model.
- Semi-annual performance reviews.
- Complimentary alder wardrobe program + a generous product discount!
If this sounds like a good fit, please email us the following package:
- Max. one page cover letter highlighting your background and potential fit in this role.
- Current resume
- Samples of your content creation work if available
Please combine all three documents into ONE PDF. file (portfolio can be digital) and email to us at jobs at alderapparel.com with the subject line: Community and content marketing specialist - YOUR FIRST NAME, LAST NAME.
Applications close on Sunday July 9th at 11:59 EST. Please note only applicants selected for a further interview will be contacted.
Thanks so much & happy recreating :)
- alder team <3.